The following is a list of common causes of Apache not starting. The first item to check is your Apache log file to see if there are any error messages. Your Apache log file is located in /Applications/MAMP/logs/apache.log
1. The most common problem with Apache Server not starting is another Apache service running on the same port. To check this
- Quit MAMP PRO.
- Open the Activity Monitor located in your
- Type "httpd" into the search field on the top right.
- Quit every process you find after your search.
- Restart MAMP PRO.
If Apache still refuses to start check the log file available through the General Tab in you MAMP PRO interface for error messages.
2. I don't have a log file
1. First check you Template folder, located in /Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/appsolute/MAMP PRO/template/httpd.conf.temp. Rename this file to httpd.conf.temp.bak and try to restart your Apache server.
2. Confirm none of your hosts in the MAMP PRO hosts table are highlighted in red. If a host is highlighted in red, Apache cannot reach it's document root folder. To fix the problem, change the document root to a folder that is accessible to Apache.
Another issue could be that the document root is in a subfolder of a different document root. This is generally not a good idea, and can cause problems for Apache and your development.